beck's blog

Monday, June 26, 2006

Sock Monkey Snape

A couple days ago I bought a sock monkey kit from Goodwill for $1.99.
Images are clickable for enlargement.




I've always wanted to make a sock monkey. So I spent a day working on cutting and sewing and stuffing and sewing the monkey. Once he was all put together I got to "personalize" him however I wanted. I did not like the look of the Santa sock monkey the kit had plans for. Of course I thought of doing a Sock Monkey Snape right away. So, like my crocheted Snape doll, I knew I would need pants, a frock coat, and stringy Snape hair. I set to work and had a lot of fun crocheting all his things.

Here's the pics.




I crocheted a wand and potion bottle too.









His palms have velcro tabs so he can hold the wand and potion bottle.
I was going to make shoes but then I thought, hey!, he's a sock monkey! Let's see his socks!


His tail actually was longer but I thought it was too long so I cut it down.




Oooooo nakey Snapey Monkey.
This is his red baboon butt. So cute.


  
I tried to show the hole I have for his tail here. It's in the center where the ripple normally is. I only skipped two more chain spaces on either side so it would fit.

His pants also needed a tail hole.


I know what a lot of you are thinking. Yes, he does look a lot like this certain person...... http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/4903/r12407297644df.jpg
but I can't help that. Did I scare you? Sorry. It's how he looks.
Hope you-all enjoyed this project. It was lots of fun!



5 Comments:

  • Hello!
    I first came across your work at ARDH Guest Book when you did the AR afghan. I've enjoyed seeing your other projects and am enchanted by sock monkeys in general (daughter has a punk rock sock monkey), so your Sock Monkey Snape really caught my eye! I just wanted to let you know, too, that I have mentioned it on my Live Journal!
    Thanks for sharing your artistry!
    emteee

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:51 AM  

  • Wow! Those are some Fantastic clothes!
    That is one very cool Sock Monkey.

    I just finished a Beatles Sock Monkey

    Very nice 'blog Becky. :)

    By Blogger Tamara, at 11:56 AM  

  • Hi emteee! I'm so glad you like Sock Monkey Snape. Admittedly, he's not for everyone! A Harry Potter Crafts group member said he resembled a drag queen. LOL! And another said, if you scroll down my blog quickly, it looks like he's doing a strip-tease! LOL!!!!!


    tamara, I love your sock monkeys! Great work! I never realized there was a whole world of people out there who do the sock monkey thing. Cool! I've seen sock elephants and sock donkeys
    too. Now I wonder if anyone's ever done a sock dragon, because that's what I'd really love!

    By Blogger Becky, at 5:57 AM  

  • Strippin' nakey Snapey monkey?

    LOL! Wrong. Sooooooooo wrong!

    Thanks for sharing,
    emteee

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:02 PM  

  • That is so excellent!
    He does look eerily like MJ - why does he want to look like a sock monkey??
    I am thrilled to meet a fellow Snape fan!

    By Blogger Miss Scarlett, at 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home